Saturday 27 October 2018

Self-loathing and Selfie Sticks

There are a few things in life that I really don't like.
  1. Celtic
  2. Cottage Cheese
  3. Israeli Politics
  4. Olives
  5. Selfie Sicks
The first one needs no explanation.
Cottage cheese is the devil's food.
Israeli Politics - the optimist in me would like it to disappear off this list but I wont be holding my breath.
Olives - see No 2 above

Then we come to Selfie-Sticks, a relative newcomer to the list.

On many occasions, I have said to Shoshi, "If you ever see me with one of these, please shoot me".

They are for self-obsessed, social media junkies, who are more interested in capturing every moment and 'sharing' it with like-minded people rather than actually enjoying the experience of the moment.

These wands of narcissism are one of the most visible signs of what is wrong with the modern world of smartphones and social media.

I will never use one.

Ever.


Until today, 27th October, at Hellfire's Pass in Kanchanaburi, Thailand

I became that person, because it meant we could get better photos as a family. A flimsy excuse but it actually did help.

We'll probably use it again during our travels.

It makes me sick, nearly as sick as eating cottage cheese or olives.

This travelling lifestyle has started to change us for the worst already...



No comments:

Post a Comment