Friday 12 August 2022

Rule No2 in America - It's All in the Name

I had lived in Israel for almost 20 years.

I've been called 'Daran', 'Doron', 'Deren', 'Darn', 'Dareen' and 'Achi'.

My surname has been bastardised into 'Gladstein' "Goldstone' 'Galdstone', 'Gallstone', 'Galdestone' amongst others.

So it's absolutely delightful to have arrived in a country where I am refered to as Mr Gladstone by one and all.

Marlon at the bank, "Hello Mr Gladstone, how can we help you today?"

Renata at the Electric Company, "Mr Gladstone, that's your account all set up now, is there anything else I can help you with?"

Wendy in the office where we live, "Mr Gladstone, if you need anything at all, please just pop in and we'll help you out."

They might not have a clue how to organize a swimming pool full of kids, but you certainly can't fault Americans for politeness and their ability to pronounce a name correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment